Journal First Track
Goal and Scope
Following the success of previous editions of the Journal First / Conference Second (J1C2) track, this year's ICSME will also invite presentations of journal papers based on submissions from authors. We aim to accommodate as many journal-first presentations as will fit into the ICSME program. The J1C2 track is aimed at papers that (a) are theme-appropriate for ICSME, (b) have recently been accepted to one of the participating journals, and (c) concern work that has not previously been presented at a conference (i.e., the journal paper must not be an extension of a previous conference/workshop paper).
The participating journals are Empirical Software Engineering (EMSE), Information and Software Technology (IST), Journal of Software: Evolution and Process (JSEP), Journal of Systems and Software (JSS) and the Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM).
To be eligible to participate in the J1C2 program, a paper must:
- Be in the scope of the conference, that is, the paper contains work related to software maintenance and evolution (see the ICSME Research Track Call for Papers for possible topics);
- Be published in one of the partner journals listed above between January 1, 2020, and the J1C2 deadline listed below;
- Report completely new research results that were not previously reported in prior work (conferences, workshops, repurpose of material previously published at venues targeting software professionals, etc.). Journal versions extending conference papers with additional proofs or algorithms (or other such details presented for completeness) or empirical evaluations are thus out of the scope of the track regardless of the size of the extension.
- Not have already been presented, or currently being considered for, J1C2 or similar initiatives of other conferences.
- Be peer-reviewed, (e.g. letters or editorials are excluded).
We invite the authors of papers that satisfy the Journal-First criteria to submit a talk proposal.
How to Submit
Interested authors should submit a short talk proposal consisting of the paper title, abstract, a short statement on how the work satisfies the journal first criteria, and the PDF of the accepted paper. Please list all authors of the original journal paper as authors in EasyChair.
The J1C2 committee will evaluate if the submission is within the scope of the ICSME conference and, in general, fulfils the eligibility criteria mentioned above. We plan to select as many papers as possible for inclusion in the J1C2 program. In case that the interest in the J1C2 is higher than expected, the track chairs, together with the conference technical program co-chairs, will reserve the right to prioritize papers that better fit in the conference technical program.
As the papers have been already reviewed and accepted by high-quality journals, they will not be reviewed again for technical correctness. They will be checked for the Journal-First criteria and prioritized according to fit the conference theme. Authors will not receive any reviews with the notification.
At least one author of each accepted J1C2 contribution must register and attend the conference to present the paper. Failure to present the paper might result in exclusion from future J1C2 programs.
The J1C2 papers will not be part of the ICSME proceedings. However, the conference online program will contain a hyperlink to the journal paper (if already published) or, in case the paper hasn’t been published yet, to its preprint (we will encourage the authors of accepted J1C2 to make a preprint of the paper available to ICSME).
For any questions, please contact the track chairs.
**All submission dates are at 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth, UTC-12)**
- Paper Submission: Friday, June 11, 2021
- Author Notification: Friday, July 2, 2021